Hawthorne Elementary School
Mt. Pleasant Central School District
September 28, 2017
Dear First and Second Grade Parents,
As part of our work to provide a challenging and engaging learning environment for our students, we continue to use DreamBox Learning. DreamBox is an online, adaptive Mathematics program that adjusts instruction and practice to each student’s learning needs. Students practice math concepts and skills in an engaging, interactive platform, to strengthen and expand their mathematical knowledge.
Our work in DreamBox is aligned with the New York State Learning Standards and our District curriculum. As students practice, the program automatically adjusts to meet each individual’s needs. Since the program is self-adjusting we ask that allow your child solve the problems without assistance. It is important that they program sees his/her independent thinking and will then adjust to the correct level of challenge.
At this time, we are encouraging students to complete 10-20 minutes of practice on DreamBox, per week, at home. As the year progresses, your child’s teacher may modify expectations regarding DreamBox usage and assignments.
Your child can access DreamBox from any computer anytime using this link: https://play.dreambox.com/login/9a7h/hawthornee
Search for "DreamBox Math" in the App Store and download DreamBox Math Green and DreamBox Math Blue to ensure your student has access to the full catalog of DreamBox Learning Math lessons.
When prompted in the app, use this School Code: 9a7h/hawthornee
Review your child's academic progress by creating a free Parent Account:
- Go to https://play.dreambox.com/login/9a7h/hawthornee
- Have your student login to their profile just as they would at school.
- Click Setup Parent Access at the bottom of the page.
- Follow instructions to create a new login and password.
Log into your home account after set up:
- Go to http://play.dreambox.com
- Enter your email address and password.
- To see your child’s progress, click the "Family Dashboard" button.
Tips for home usage:
1) Allow for 10 to 20 minute sessions throughout the week.
2) Encourage completion of every lesson that is started. Mistakes are OK. Your child should not shy away from incorrect answers, as they help find the right lesson to build learning progress.
3) We know it’s difficult, but please resist the urge to help with answers so that your child doesn’t move ahead before he or she is truly ready.